Friday, August 31, 2018

Weekly Update

We had a fantastic first week of fourth grade! This is a great group of girls and I am very excited for the year ahead. Much of this week was used to establish routines and to get to know one another. We jumped into some curriculum as well. Each week, I will update this class blog with pertinent information. I encourage you and your daughter to read through it together over the weekend. I will include a simple "scavenger hunt" question for the girls to answer that will show me they have read the blog.

Here are some curriculum updates:

Math: This week, we did some fun activities to get back into the swing of things with our mathematical thinking. We completed an EdPuzzle about squirrels and a started a daily routine of Mindful Maths. Both of these activities bring relevance and fun to math! Ask your daughter to explain in more detail what we did. Next week, we will begin a weekly routine of a facts contract. This will be the math homework each week and it helps each girl stay accountable for knowing her basic math facts. Here is the EdPuzzle we worked through.

Language Arts
: Our primary focus in fourth grade is on vocabulary and we use Wordly Wise as the basis for this. Not only will we complete activities in the WW workbook, we will complete creative writing activities using the words. Our spelling lists pulls words from the WW list as well as frequently misspelled words for this age group. I will discuss more of this at Parents' Night next week. The girls did some reflecting on last year and made some goals for this year after watching a precious video where a squirrel had to try, try, and try again to make it over the wall. I was impressed by their reflections. Lastly, we used a web site called Mentimeter so that the girls could express their thoughts about fourth grade. Here is the word cloud that they made!

Reminders:
  • Next week’s carpool helper is Natalie
  • I look forward to seeing you next Thursday evening, September 6, for Parents’ Night from 6:00 - 8:00 pm.
  • Band letter
  • Each week, I will be post the homework for the upcoming week on the blog so that your daughter may work ahead as necessary. There is a link to homework on the right side of the blog.
  • Scavenger Hunt!
Enjoy your long weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Update

Girls, I miss you already! I was working in my classroom today and it was very quiet!!! I hope your summer is off to a great start. ...