Friday, February 8, 2019

Weekly Update

The votes for our 75 class compliment celebration are in, and we will be having hot chocolate and bringing in a fidget toy on Monday. Today, we discussed the parameters for the fidget toy. They may bring in a fidget spinner, fidget cube, squishie, or slime, but only one item. I will allow them to have the item out in our class during the day but if it becomes a distraction, they will be put away. Wish me luck!!! We will have the hot chocolate and a cookie as well.

I hope that many of you were able to attend the meeting in January with Nurse Blanton about the "Growing Up Healthy" class. The class begins this Monday and all of the details are here. The class will meet during science for the next few weeks.

This week in math, we worked on adding and subtracting related fractions. We also practiced addition and subtraction of related fractions in word problems. For this next unit in math, I will be giving the girls mini checks focusing on one skill at a time. With all of the fraction concepts, I think this will be simpler approach for the girls. We will have our first mini check on Monday and I offered the girls some practice problems today. Most of the class took me up on the offer, but not all! So, the practice problems are here if anyone would like to access them at home. The mini check will not be this long but if they want to practice some of these problems, it would be great. The fractions test from the last unit is in their Friday folder that was sent home today.

The girls finished their friendship machines and created their very own business cards. They look great! Here are a few examples.

 
The girls had some time in class to research their animals using the school's library database. I also offered them time to read some articles for the Black History Month project on Newsela.

Reminders:
  • Sloane is our carpool helper next week
  • The "mini-conferences" are going really well and I will finish up next week.
  • For Valentine's Day, the girls will need to bring in a box to collect their valentines from their classmates. They maybe as creative with this as they would like. They may starte bringing in their boxes starting Monday.
  • We will have another Wordly Wise Dress Up day on Valentine's Day so put your thinking caps on and get creative! The girls may choose any word from list 1 through 11.
  • Scavenger hunt


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Update

Girls, I miss you already! I was working in my classroom today and it was very quiet!!! I hope your summer is off to a great start. ...